Welcome to the Grand Comics Database!
We're a nonprofit, internet-based organization of international volunteers dedicated to building a database covering all printed comics throughout the world, and we're glad you're here! Give our search a try, or take a look at the menu to the left to see how you can help us improve the site.
Don't forget to check out our newest feature, my.comics.org which provides a comic collection functionality and is, of course, based on our extensive database of international comics. We are are continuing to develop new features, so give it a try and let us know what you think.
600,000 covers uploaded!
Indexing milestone: La Novela Policiaca #2259 is our 600,000th uploaded cover on the site! Thanks to uploader Steve, and to all the uploaders who preceded him and continue to contribute.
GCD Comics Timeline
Baru continues to create popular, compelling stories such as “L’Autoroute du Soleil”, “Bonne Année”, and the series “Les Années Spoutnik”.
At Comiclopedia — https://www.lambiek.net/artists/b/baru.htm
In the GCD — http://ow.ly/FuX3302IATW
At Comiclopedia — https://www.lambiek.net/artists/d/davis_jim.htm
At Wikipedia — https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Davis_(cartoonist)
In the GCD — http://ow.ly/AOvg302GcGZ
Sprang was responsible for the 1948 redesign of the Batmobile and the original design of the Riddler, who has appeared in film, television and other media adaptations. Sprang’s Batman was notable for his square chin, expressive face, and barrel chest.
At Comiclopedia — https://www.lambiek.net/artists/s/sprang_dick.htm
At Wikipedia — https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Sprang
In the GCD — http://ow.ly/3qVm302GbVI
(“Batman” #19, with a full cover by Dick Sprang, is dated October-November 1943.)
At Comiclopedia — https://www.lambiek.net/artists/m/muth_jon.htm
At Wikipedia — https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_J_Muth
In the GCD — http://ow.ly/WMXc302GcnI
Roba was twice given awards at the Angoulême International Comics Festival, and was made a Chevalier des Arts et Lettres by France in 1992. His best-known work is “Boule et Bill”.
In Comiclopedia — https://www.lambiek.net/artists/r/roba.htm
In Wikipedia — https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Roba
In the GCD — http://ow.ly/GXhS302Gb8y
Chan also had a long tenure on Batman and Detective Comics. Other than his work on Batman, Chan primarily focused on non-superhero characters, staying mostly in the genres of horror, war, and swords-and-sorcery.
At Comiclopedia — https://www.lambiek.net/artists/c/chan_ernie.htm
At Wikipedia — https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernie_Chan
In the GCD — http://ow.ly/ekQV302DSHJ
The Bierbaums are known for having honed their writing skills in Legion fandom.
At Wikipedia — https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_and_Mary_Bierbaum
In the GCD — http://ow.ly/IpLf302DRxO
(The cover of “Secret Origins” #42, July 1989, was penciled by Dick Giordano and inked by Karl Kesel.)
How to help ?There are several ways in which you can help us to improve our site and its content.
- You can provide missing data, update existing data, or upload cover scans. Just register an account with us, and you can start contributing.
- Donate for our ongoing costs, e.g. the server infrastructure. We are a non-profit organization and any funds will be used for our goal of documenting and indexing all comics.
- We need volunteer web designers and programmers! Please contact the
gcd-tech group or visit our technical documentation if you
can help with any of these roles:
- Python / Django programming
- Elasticsearch search server together with Haystack
- Web Services API
- Database Performance (MySQL)
- Cap'tain Présente Popeye #196 (Société Française de Presse Illustrée (SFPI))
- Cap'tain Présente Popeye #193 (Société Française de Presse Illustrée (SFPI))
- Cap'tain Présente Popeye #195 (Société Française de Presse Illustrée (SFPI))
- Cap'tain Présente Popeye #194 (Société Française de Presse Illustrée (SFPI))
- Commando #2264 (D.C. Thomson)
5,044 indicia publishers
58,691 variant issues
255,695 issue indexes