- ? [as Frank Riddell]
- Dan Zolnerowich (p 1); Rafael Astarita (pp 2-14)
- Dan Zolnerowich ? (p 1); Rafael Astarita (pp 2-14)
- Daru (introduction), Daru's father (introduction, death); a witch doctor (introduction, villain, death); a renegade (introduction, villain); Kaänga; Ann Mason; Ngeeso; Wambus (African tribe)
- A treasure hunter persuades the Wambus' witch doctor to help him kidnap the chief's son and demand as ransom the tribe's sacred ruby. The chief refuses to reveal the location of the ruby and is killed by the treasure hunter. Kaänga defeat the treasure hunter and reveals that the ruby was hidden in the tusk of the Wambus' sacred elephant. Young Daru, now chief, gives the ruby to Ann so that it will no longer trouble the tribe.
- bondage; caves; dynamite; rubies; white elephants; witch doctors
The story title is taken from the cover blurb.
first line: "Assailed by a weird menace, Kaänga probes a dead man's brain in a frantic search for a sacred ruby..."