The Grand Comics Database (GCD) is a nonprofit, internet-based organization of international volunteers dedicated to building an open database covering all printed comics throughout the world. Give our search a try, take a look at the menu to the left to see how you can help us improve the site, or use my.comics.org to track and manage your comic collection.
New credits editing workflow and storage!
We deployed our new editing workflow for creator credits and features. The current text fields will step-by-step be replaced by links in the database, where the editing uses an auto-complete functionality. With this new functionality, we will have much better internal linking and searching for the work of creators.
The ability to link creators to story records is one of the biggest changes in the history of the GCD.
We reached 850,000 cover scans !
We reached 850,000 comic covers. The milestone issue was Lee Falk's Fantomen: Den inbundna årgången #2/1957 from the Swedish branch of Egmont.
Import of Collections (Updated 30th November 2019)As we have seen a number of users from comicbookdb.com looking for alternatives in view of its shutdown, we added some basic support to import collections given in the export format of that site into my.comics.org.
There are mixed reports of success and non-success with the import. If it doesn't work following the hints below feel free to contact us. If we don't hear about specific problems, we cannot do much about it.
- There seem to be two different output formats, the one using the link in the banner with the shutdown notice, and one in My Collection. Only the second is supported, the first one is missing the publisher information, which are needed to limit the search results.
- The import tries to find the corresponding issues from your collection in our database via a search, you then need to select the corresponding issues in the search result.
- If many of the comics are not found, than the export file will need some search-and-replace editing to adjust differences in publisher names or series names. In other words, if whole series are not found you will need to search for the series and publisher name on our site and then edit the export file.
- We suspect that the import will not work as good for collected editions.
- For performances reasons, the import can only happen in batches of size 500.
- More info under the import-button on my.comics.org
Volunteers Wanted For Adding New Comics
Each week, a small number of GCD volunteers add listings to our database for the new comics released that week in North America. These are just the basic listings, not full indexes. This makes it easier for other volunteers who upload covers and for indexers, as well as for people using my.comics.org.
Each volunteer covers one publisher or a small group of publishers (“D publishers except DC”, for example). From public sources such as ComicsList and Diamond Previews online, they add the issues and make note of the prices and a few other details. We are looking for additional volunteers for this weekly task.Follow this link for a description of the process and a list of which publishers are currently covered.
GCD Comics Timeline
How to Help
There are several ways in which you can help us to improve our site and its content.
- You can provide missing data, update existing data, or upload cover scans. Just register an account with us, and you can start contributing.
- Donate for our ongoing costs, e.g. the server infrastructure. We are a non-profit organization and any funds will be used for our goal of documenting and indexing all comics.
We need volunteer web designers and programmers! Please contact the
or visit our
if you can help with any of these roles:
- Python / Django programming
- ElasticSearch search server
- Web Services API
- Database Performance (MySQL)
122,552 variant issues
357,006 issue indexes